Registering for VAT

Registering for VAT

Do I need to register for VAT?          

Generally, you must register for VAT if you are an accountable person and you exceed or are likely to exceed the relevant VAT thresholds.

If you are setting up a business but have not yet commenced supplying taxable goods or services, you should register for VAT as soon as it is clear that you will be.

What are the VAT thresholds?

The principal thresholds are as follows:

  • €37,500 in the case of persons supplying services only.
  • €37,500 for persons supplying goods liable at the reduced or standard rates which they have manufactured or produced from zero rated materials.
  • €35,000 for persons making mail-order or distance sales into the State.
  • €41,000 for persons making acquisitions from other European Union Member States.
  • €75,000 for persons supplying goods.
  • €75,000 for persons supplying both goods and services where 90% or more of the turnover is derived from supplies of goods.

How do I register for VAT?

Register online through ROS.

You or your tax agent can register your business for VAT through Revenue’s Online Services (ROS). To avail of this facility your business must be established in the State.

What registration forms should be completed online?

Applicants who have a business established in the State should complete the following forms online:

  • TR1 registration form for individuals, sole traders, trusts and partnerships
  • TR2 registration form for limited companies

When will the VAT registration take effect?

VAT registration is effective from a date agreed to by your local tax district and you, after your completed application has been received by Revenue.

If you elect to register, the effective date will not be earlier than the beginning of the taxable period during which the application is made.

Value-Added Tax (VAT) registration is obligatory when the VAT thresholds are exceeded or are likely to be exceeded in any 12 month period (except for distance sales). If you are below the thresholds you may elect to register for VAT.

  • A non-established person supplying taxable goods or services in the State is obliged to register and account for VAT irrespective of the level of turnover.

For expert advice on all things taxation please contact us at McEvoy Craig  

Older Posts

Revenue Focusing On Construction Sector – Current Issues

Revenue Focusing On Construction Sector – Current Issues

24 Mar 2016
Sugar Tax comes into effect today !

Sugar Tax comes into effect today !

01 May 2018